Welcome to City of Tauranga
Pipe Band’s online home.
You only need to wander the streets
of Tauranga to see the links with Scotland – Cameron Road, Glasgow, Hamilton, Fraser and
McLean Streets are all dotted around the inner city. So it is not surprising the skirl of
the pipes and beat of the drums can stir the blood of locals.
As the civic Pipe Band we keep Tauranga’s Scottish traditions alive and proudly
represent the city at contests and events around the country.
City of Tauranga Pipe Band
City of Tauranga Pipe Band marked its centenary in 2014. Formed mainly by Scots, the band had its first parade at the Tauranga
Athletics Highland Games in December 1914 under Pipe Major W.G Brown.
The band, now known as City of Tauranga Pipe Band, was originally Tauranga Scottish
Society Pipe Band, and has also been Tauranga Highland Pipe Band and City of Tauranga
Highland Pipe Band.
World War One saw a severe depletion of the band when all its pipers left, carrying the
Great Highland War Pipe to the Battlefields of France, many never returned home.
After the war, a minimal band continued and took on learners to build up numbers. In 1938
after many fundraising activities the band purchased its first full set of No 1 uniform
and adopting the Gordon Tartan.
World War Two saw many of the band’s members again go off on active service. This time
losses were not as great and the band was able to develop and make exceptional progress
under Pipe Major Laurie G Johnson.
In 1948 the band
attended the New Zealand Pipe Band Championships winning the open street march and being
placed in the selection and Drum Majors display. The performance of the band on this
occasion is summarised in the official NZ report: “the skill and devotion of each and
every member of the band was extolled. Great credit goes to P/M for the attention and care
he gave to the music of the band. This success is probably due to the uniformity of the
training of the pipers, nearly all whom have been taught by P/M Laurie Johnson. By its
performance the Tauranga Pipe Band is entitled to be classified as the best band in NZ at
In 1962 on his visit to New Zealand, the Marquess of Huntley appoints the band of the
official New Zealand band to the “House of Gordon”. In 1963 the Tauranga Borough
having attained City status, bestows the band with the title of City of Tauranga Highland
Pipe Band. In the 1970s the band is one of New Zealand’s top grade 2 pipe bands and in
1982 the band wins the grade 2 championship at Nationals and is promoted to Grade 1.
The band’s fortunes fluctuated with rising and falling membership and by the late 1980s
the band was in Grade 3 winning many annual Centre Championships but the New Zealand Pipe
Band Championship remains just out of their grasp.
In 2000 the band buys new uniforms and enters the new millennium with a new tartan -
Roxburgh Red Modern.
In 2017 the band moved up to Grade 3 after consistently successful competition seasons in the previous few years.
City of Tauranga marches out
resplendent in the Roxburgh Modern tartan.
The tartan dates back to the early 19th Century and is predominantly red and green with
accents of white and navy blue.
The ancient burgh of Roxburgh is found in the Scottish Borders and is home to the
beautiful market town of Kelso. The county of the middle march, is amongst the most
beautiful and historic areas of Scotland. Now included in the administrative region known
as the "Borders", Roxburgh is the true border county. Here the Roman armies came
and withdrew to build Hadrian's Wall to restrain the war-like Scots. Crusaders, Kings,
Queens and the great Border clans made this land along the River Teviot rich in history,
tradition and spirit. The Roxburgh Tartan now woven commercially for the first time in
perhaps a century and a half, is gaining recognition as a truly representative district